Monday, June 18, 2012

Dolls! 1950's Sweet Sue Doll's Ballerina Dress, Part 2


I have had the third cold in about three months, so my sewing has been slow. Here is my 1950's Sweet Sue doll modelling the ballerina dress that I am making her. I have just pinned it on her as I have not attached the skirt to the bodice yet. I love the effect of the 2 pieces of copper tulle over the satin skirt. I lined the bodice with a very soft tulle and had to understitch it to help the tulle stay on the inside.


This photo shows the bodice with the darts for shaping. Sweet Sue is holding a bunch of vintage flowers that I might use to decorate the bodice and the skirt. I got the pattern from DD's Doll Closet on Ebay.

This is the pattern that I have used. Like the dress, coat and hat, the fit has been excellent. The skirt on my version of the ballerina dress does not stick out as much as the one in the picture. I am considering attaching another piece of tulle underneath her satin skirt to puff it out a bit.

After I finish Sweet Sue's dress, I am thinking of making a winter and a summer top - for me!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

BLESS YOU!!!for getting rid of the awful "big hair" wig that was on this Sweet Sue, and finding an appropriate wig that looks very close to her original!! GREAT JOB on the dress, too - I've never seen SS in one like that, but it's PERFECT!!!

Lizzie said...

Thankyou Sue, it was a fun and interesting project getting her back to something close to her original look. If you have a look on ebay you can sometimes see SS in a ballerina outfit, but not as often as she is seen in her fancy ballgowns etc.

Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...